Shopify people - listen up!
Over the years, Shopify has become the single most important CMS for eCommerce entrepreneurs. You are out of your mind if you’re selling physical products and not using Shopify.
Shopify is a solid choice for your e-commerce platform, but it doesn’t matter how great your store is if you don’t have any traffic.
Researchers have found that at least a third (33%) of e-commerce traffic is coming from organic search. This makes search engine optimization (SEO) incredibly important for your Shopify store.
With a comprehensive Shopify SEO checklist, you will be able to solve your SEO problems and get your site ranking.
Keep reading to implement these tips:
1. Competitor and Website Analysis
Conducting a thorough website analysis is a prerequisite to every SEO optimization process. The audit allows you to know your website’s performance in comparison to competitors, and look for strategies to implement on your own.
By analyzing your website, you’ll know:
- What actions to take in your SEO strategy;
- Data to compare before and after you started optimization;
- Insights on success rates of your current SEO efforts; and
- Understanding competitor's performance; and
A strategy built on data will help your Shopify website rank higher in the search engine results.
2. Keyword Research
Keyword research is the starting point for search engine optimization. Keyword research will let you know, before even starting, if anyone wants what you’re trying to do. When buyers are looking to purchase a product/service, they type keywords on search engines and won’t come directly to your site unless they know about your brand. If you want to attract customers who are ready to buy, you must include keywords that match their search intent.
There are many keyword research tools to look for keywords. Here are some of the popular ones:
After you’ve picked your keyword, it’s time to optimize the page. The page title, meta description, image alt tags, headers, and content are a few places where you can place them.
3. Optimize Content of Your Shopify Store
On-page optimization is the process of helping search engines understand what our content is about.
Here are a few tips to focus on when you’re optimizing your content:
- Use only the H1 tag for the title of your page and top it off with your keyword.
- Page titles should be under 60 characters because Google displays only the first 50-60 characters of page titles.
- Meta descriptions should be eye-catching and under 155 characters.
- Your page title and meta description should clearly describe your content.
- To appear in the Google image web searches, your images should have alt text that explains what the image is about.
- Include keywords in your page URL.
4. Strong Link Building Strategy
Link building, earned media & authority is the next massive pillar of SEO. We’ve given the search engine the relevant document that it wants, now we have to prove that our document is more popular than others.
We've enlisted some best practices to help you with your link building strategy:
- Search for unlinked mentions and request them to mention the link to your website.
- Try to get links from high-authority websites since they are more effective.
- Try to get links from different websites instead of getting many from the same website.
- You can guest post on associated websites and give links to your website.
- Build a relationship with relevant content creators and request them to share your links.
- Try to get product reviews with links to your products.
Another effective way to engage people with your website is to create content on popular, relevant, and fresh topics your audience is interested in. When you solve customer needs, your website will surely get backlinks.
Getting everything set up will take some time, but it’s important to make sure you’re paying attention to each step to maximize your site’s potential. Once you know Shopify is the right platform for you, you’re ready to run through the steps.
Keep this Shopify SEO checklist for reference whenever you want to audit your SEO, or if you create another Shopify store.
You can download it below!